I love ice cream.
I also love to create new joys with food.
So, I thought, why not do both?! Here is a picture story of my FIRST EVER adventure making:
A) Hemp Milk from scratch and
B) Ice Cream. Mmm.....and yes, this was my breakfast for the day.
1. Start with 3 cups of purified water and add 1/2 a cup of raw shelled hemp seeds, a dash of salt and a bit of honey. (Regular milk is naturally sweet n salty).
2. Blend for about 2.5 minutes on high.
3. Drain through a cheese cloth (ideal) or if you are like me and don't have one... you can get creative with a clean pillow case! Make sure you have a big enough bowl underneath that can hold at least 4 cups.
4. Then squeeze the last bit of milk through and you will see you are left with all the nutrient rich hemp seed fiber. Save this and add to cookies, oatmeal, smoothies, etc. Loads of good nutrients in here.
5. Tada!! Easy as one two three! You have hemp milk! This can last for about three days in the fridge because it is 100% Natural with no preservatives or funky words you can't pronounce. Mmm...
6. Take a break and grab a dry erase marker to remind yourself what matters most in life. Write it on your bathroom mirror loud and proud so that you can reflect on it daily (literally). Kuddos to dear friend Krista for the clever idea.
7. Now for the big fun. With your ice cream maker (I hope you have one! I just bought a Cuisinart edition, but you could always just add all the ingredients to a big bowl and freeze until desired consistency. Will need to do some mixing by hand, but hey, thats good exercise!)
Here I added: The 3 cups of hemp milk, two bananas, a few spoonfuls of unsweetened cocoa powder and some tapioca flour (helps with thickening).
8. During the last few minutes of the mixing cycle, I added some melted coconut oil. This freezes instantly and breaks into loads of little pieces that helps thicken the ice cream and adds texture like chocolate chips would. (This was actually unintentional, but ended up being a delicious "mistake." I also added a handful of chopped almonds.
9. Let it all mix together and allow to freeze in freezer a bit longer until it is super frozen. Then...scoop it up and enjoy! Mmm...happy healthy food that is good for you and the world too! What's not to love? Remember, it always tastes better when you share :)
"Ice cream is happiness condensed." Jessi Lane Adams
Share your comments here: My Comment to Share